This is my favorite appetizer . Mango salad is so refreshing and easy to whip up too. It is a great accompaniment for meat dishes. The dressing is the main attraction here. Tangy flavor from fresh lime juice, salty flavor from the fish sauce and spicy flavor from chillies and the sweet flavor from the brown sugar. A perfect combination and the garnishing of crunchy dried shrimps and peanuts add texture to the salad. It is 'wow' appetizer and I make this very often. I used apple mango for this mango salad. They are cheap when in season :) Provides natural vitamin C too :) This is so good that I recommend you try this too :)
300 gm unripe mango
2 shallots- thinly sliced
2 bird eye’s chillies ( red ,green- one of each )
2.5 tbsp of fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
20 gm dried shrimps – soak, drained and deep fried till crispy
40 gm peanuts- toasted and pound coarsely
3 tbsp brown sugar
1. Peel the green mango and shred with a zig zag peeler or julienne manually.
2. Soak the mango shreds in ice cold water to make it crunchy texture.
3.. Mix fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar in a small bowl
4. In a big bowl, mix all the ingredients together ,except the peanuts and deep fried dried shrimps , till well combined.
5. Garnish with peanuts and dried shrimps.
6. Served chilled or at room temperature.
* * *