Crispy Mashed Tofu ....one of the delicious dish that I managed to whip up for our CNY reunion dinner. I took Wendy's recipe and find that her version of crispy tofu is much easier to make and handle. Crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside and the taste was fantastically delicious. I know my Piggies love them and I shall make this again for next year reunion :) It is easier to handle the tofu if the pan is first lined with HDPE (high density polyethelene ) plastic . I made a day earlier and kept in the fridge overnight for easy handling :)
I should have just steamed it for 8 mins instead of 10 mins
mine was a wee bit over steamed :) but .......
nonetheless, the tofu was soft and delicious
the potato starch makes the tofu crispy on the outside
and soft and tasty on the inside...yum!
love these crispy mashed tofu and my Piggies love them very much
so I shall make this again next CNY :)
Crispy Mashed Tofu - adapted from Wendy
3 pieces Japanese egg tofu
125 gm fish paste
1 large egg
2 rbsp carrot shreds
2 tbsp finely sliced spring onions and parsley ( can use coriander )
2 waterchestnuts, finely diced
1 slice sandwich ham (30 gm) finely diced
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste.
1/2 cup potato starch
1. Mix everything together with a mixer ( or by a hand, but I was laseeee)
2. Line a 7 inch squarre pan with heat safe plastic wrap
3. Pour mixture into lined pan.
4. Steam on medium heat for 8-10 minutes
5 .Let the steamed tofu cool down in the pan.
6. When tofu has totally cooled, lift tofu up from pan and remove from plastic wrap.
7. Cut into cubes or diagonal pieces, whichever way you like.
8. Heat a wok with sufficient oil for frying.
9. Coat tofu pieces with potato starch and deep fry until golden.
10. Drain tofu pieces well and serve with chilli sauce.
* * *