My boy was back for his year end break and we spent quality time together from Christmas eve till Jan 4th 2015. He requested that we make our own roast pork. *Wink . First time making this roast pork and it turned 90 percent as good as the bought one :) I need to practice more and I am sure I will succeed in making a perfect one soon :p The skin is crispy but not puffy enough. So I need to perfect the skin. Taste is good. Anyway, the skin is crispy and the meat tender and succulent. Will be making this again for CNY. My boy and WB ate this with chilled beer and whiskey ! Forget about dieting. I joined the guys and had a wonderful time forgetting about my diet :p I used Sonia's recipe ( Nasilemaklover )
Crispy Roast Pork - adapted from Sonia's blog
2.8kg pork belly, with skin on
2 tsp garlic salt (you may replace with garlic powder or grated garlic and salt)
1 tsp five spice powder
1 tsp ground white pepper
1. Try to have a flat and same level of pork belly (for even browning when roasting) by cutting off those extra meat underneath ). Blanch the pork in a pot of boiling water for 5mins.
2. Remove and wipe dry with paper towels.
3. Prick the skin all over with a sharp skewer, the more holes you can make the better.
4. Then use a sharp knife to lightly score the skin.
5. Massage the dry rub into the meat and rub the salt on the skin.
6. Place pork on a wire rack, uncovered, place in the fridge and let it dry out slowly overnight. (Alternatively put in a oven with a fan blowing for 3hours to dry the skin)
7. Preheat the oven to 200C. Place the pork, skin side up, on a wire rack in the oven, and place a tray underneath to catch the drippings.
8. Roast for 25mins and then switch the oven from bake to grill function (upper heat only), increasing the temperature to 230C. Grill until the skin is evenly blistered and browned (around 50mins)
9. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. Cut into long strips then slice and serve warm.