Korean egg rolls also known as Gyeran Mari in the korean language, is a great side dish and a popular lunch box menu and snack. It is my all time favourite side dish . The rolled up presentation of this egg dish makes it attractive and interesting not only to the adults but to the children too. There are many variations, you can make simple ones with just spring onions and carrots or you can add nori seaweed , ham or even cheese to it. For me, I love this version whereby my ingredients are just diced spring onions, diced carrots , diced red onions and nori seaweed. It is easy to make and the texture of this egg roll is soft and smooth and packed with flavors. The Japanese soy sauce will be a great dip for this colorful and flavorful egg roll.
my new rectangular non-stick pan
perfect for making Gyeran Mari
practice makes perfect...using a silicon spatula makes folding easier
my 'Wildboar' likes it a bit burnt on the outside and smooth soft on the inside
once it has cool down a bit, you can slice into 3/4 inch thick slices
I like to add a nori sheet for extra flavor and color :)
Gyeran Mari - Korean Egg Roll With Nori Seaweed
5 eggs - whisk and sieve
1.5tbsp of diced carrots
1.5 tbsp of sliced spring onions
1 tbsp of diced red onions
a shake of white pepper
a tsp of sea salt
rice bran oil for greasing the pan
1 nori seaweed cut to the size to fit the non-stick pan that you are using
1. Beat up the eggs in a bowl and sieve it. Add in ingredients (A) to the sieved egg . Give it a quick stir to make sure the ingredients are all well combined.
2. Heat a non-stick rectangular pan or round skillet over medium high heat; add oil and swipe with a paper towel to apply oil as thin as possible.
3. When pan is hot, pour a ladleful of egg mixture to cover the whole pan, once the egg mixture has lightly set, place the nori sheet on surface and gently fold over and as you keep folding, shape into square, once you finish rolling, push to one end of pan, add 3/4 ladle of egg mixture to cover the pan and reduce heat . Make sure uncooked egg mixture’s attached to the first batch of egg roll.
4. Repeat twice more with rest of uncooked egg mixture.
5.. Remove from heat and let Gyeran Mari rest in skillet about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Slice Gyeran Mari into 3/4” wide bite size pieces and serve .