I saw this healthy version of crispy spring roll from MyKitchenSnippets. Baking them is much more healthier as not much oil is used, just a drizzle of oil on the surface. The disavantage is, it doesn't keep its crispness for long and it doesn't brown evenly. But I still prefer this version though the fried ones would be crunchier. The chinese turnips filling is .packed with flavors and the wood ear fungus give the rolls the crunch it deserved :) If you are making this as finger food for a party, it is adviseable to deep fried them so that they retain their crispness longer. I finished them all within minutes and for once I don't have to feel guilty...nom nom away :)
Oven Baked Spring Roll - adapted from My Kitchen Snippets with some alterations
1 medium size jicama/bangkuang/yam bean
1 small onions – slice thinly
2 carrots – julienned
6 pieces of dried chinese mushroom – slice thinly1 big piece of wood ear fungus - soak and slice thinly
3 cloves garlic – finely chopped
a few sprigs of coriander – chopped up coarsely
1 packet of spring roll wrappers
1 tbsp oyster sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp of sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of water
1. Thaw the frozen spring roll wrappers.
2. Heat up the frying pan with a tbsp of olive oil. Add in chopped garlic, onions and stir fry until fragrant.
3. Add in jicama and carrots and wood ear fungus. Stir fry for a few minutes and add in all the seasonings and 1/2 cup of water. Continue cooking for another 7 minutes or until the jicama is soft. Check seasoning and lastly add in the chopped coriander leaves. Set aside to cool.
4. Prepare a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Lightly brush it with some vegetable oil.
5. Peel off a piece of wrapper and place it on a flat surface. Place some cooked filling in the center of the wrapper, pull over both ends and roll up the wrapper. Brush the end with some egg to seal.
6. Line all the spring rolls on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the spring roll with some vegetable oil.
7. Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly brown. Serve warm or room temperature with some chili sauce.
* * *