Hello again :)
It's me, Joanna a.k.a Piggy gal once again invading this space. I'm here with my second project. After baking muffins, I decided to try this cheese scones recipe from the very talented Aunty Gertrude.
When I stumbled upon this recipe from My Kitchen Snippets, I knew I had to try it out. It sounds exactly like something I'd love making and of course, eating. If you see the original recipe here, Aunty Gertrude made really nice heart shaped scones. Truth be told, I've been eyeing these star shaped cookie cutters of mum's for some time and what better occasion to lay my hands on them than this? Thus, I present to you.....star shaped savoury cheese scones.
I'm supposed to be the engineer at home but
credits to mum for engineering this star tower
Stars lined up in a march on the way to erm.......our stomachs...*wink*
It's a good thing I had ample practice crumbing butter thanks
to years of helping out with apple pie crusts......
A spoonful of cheddar makes the scones go yum.......
The scones came out great. The salty tang of cheddar went well with the fragrant herby aroma lacing every bite. Now I can at least say I've baked and not make it an April's Fool trick =p Thank you Aunty Gertrude for sharing such an awesome recipe :)
Savoury Cheese Scones - adapted from My Kitchen's Snippets
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
5 tbsp cold butter
1 red chili - finely chopped
2 tbsp of freshly chopped herbs (chives, rosemary,thyme or parsley)
1/3 cup milk
1 egg - beaten for brushing
Some sesame seeds or parmesan cheese - garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and mix well.
2. Rub cold butter into flour mixture until it resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Add in chili and herbs. Beat 2 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture to form dough. Dough should be wet but not too sticky.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead just until dough comes together. Pat out dough to 1-inch-thick round. Using 2 1/2-inch-diameter cutter, cut out scones. Gather dough scraps and repeat. Transfer to prepared sheet.
4. Whisk the 1 egg in small bowl and brush over scones. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or parmesan cheese.
5. Bake scones until golden brown. Cool scones on sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to basket. Serve warm.