I really have no idea what cake to bake as a belated birthday gift for Piggy gal’s friend . The birthday fell on her sem week, she couldn’t bake the cake herself , so I was roped in to help bake one on her behalf….see how bliss it is to have a Momsie who can bake!! (“,)
Many recipes jumped ahead of the queue though, dancing in the back of my head, is Aunty Yochana’s Chocolate Hazelnut Cake , a gloriously smooth ganache covered, moist and dense and chocolate-y cake.
I enjoyed reading Aunty’s Yochana’s blog. She is very generous in sharing her recipes and I just fell in love with her chocolate hazelnut cake. So be it, I took up the challege and for once try to be a daring baker ;)
The cake turned out exactly what I expected. Thrilled beyond reason, giggling and smiling to myself in shameless delight :) :) :) doing my little dance of joy……..
moist, dense and chocolate-y
on the techniques of frosting
Tada......this is the outcome
Chocolate Hazelnut Cake ( Aunty Yochana )
Ingredients for cake:
150 gm. Butter
120 gm. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
125 gm. cake flour
15 gm. cocoa powder ( I halved this with black chocolate powder)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
30 gm. Orange juice
1/2 orange zest
75 gm. toasted hazelnuts - chopped
Ganache for pouring onto cake:
150 gm. bittersweet chocolate
100 gm. whipping cream
10 gm. butter
(1) Cream butter and sugar till creamy. Add egg one at a time till batter is smooth and light.
(2) Fold in flour, salt and baking powder with a spatula until well combined. Then add in orange juice, orange zest and toasted hazelnuts.
(3) Pour batter into 7" to 8" heart shape pan and bake at 175C for about 45 mins. or till cooked.
(4) Cool the cake on cooling rack till completely cooled.
(5) Pour Ganache on top and place some white chocolate shavings on top. Chill in the fridge till ganache sets.
Note: For Ganache, double-boil whipping cream then pour onto chocolate and stir till smooth. Add in butter and stir till well combined.
( A special thank you to Aunty Yochana for this gorgeous chocolate hazelnut cake recipe )
The 12-step chocoholics program: Never be more than 12 steps away from chocolate!